Saturday, July 17, 2010

"We do have Starbucks.. We've nicknamed it "The American Temple"

July 17, 2010
11:53 PM
College Perk Cafe

The people of China have no problem with their men walking around with their shirts half way up. And you know, I really don't either because it is just so so so so hot here. I wish I could do that. But yeah, it's pretty common to see (mostly) old men showing their bellies all over the place. Honestly, sometimes the most interesting part of the day is walking around because the traffic here is absolutely nuts. They do not follow the traffic rules, and I really am starting to think they actually don't have any. I've come to the conclusion that because this city is SO crowded, everyone just pushes through everywhere. It's not about politeness or order, it's just all about getting where you need to go and being the fastest one to do it. At a mall we were at, three of us were waiting at an elevator and managed to miss it twice because people pushed by so fast to get on, by the time it was full, we barely noticed it was there. The driving is not real. I could never ever drive in this city. People say Asians can't drive, but I have to completely disagree. They can drive, they just can't drive with rules holding them back, i.e. speed limits, turn signals, red meaning stop, etc. These taxi drivers are skilled mofos, but it is scary has hell. They push and push and push. Today, our taxi driver tried to beat a bus merging into our lane so we'd be ahead of it before we got to the light. This was the closest near-death we've had; the bus prevailed and we were stuck behind it. But to my amazement, I have not seen an accident yet. In the US, you walk on the right, but not here. The bike lane kind of merges with the sidewalk and bikes are literally everywhere. I can't blame them since you have to have badass level driving skills to survive here. But people ride and walk wherever they need to, there is absolutely no order. But, I feel like the people here have their own sense of the people around them and what they're doing. Because i've almost been run over by a bike like 3 times.

The smell of Beijing.. is semi-horrible. I think I'm used to it. But I guess it's legal to pee outside here, and I suppose that's what it is. and the massive amount of pollution. The average visibility is like 2 miles ahead because of all the smog. And i'm pretty sure it's ok to litter. I don't know.. a couple of places I've been to people will just throw their trash in the parking lots and there are employees sweeping up the mass amounts.

The public toilets are probably the worst thing... the absolute worst. You squat. and you throw away your toilet paper.. that you have to carry with you. because no, most of them don't have toilet paper. And no, sometimes you don't flush. Sometimes these toilets are cleaned up, but most of them are just downright disgusting. This really made me see how spoiled we are in the states. It may or may not be actually more hygienic, because you're not actually sitting on the toilet sit. but the atmosphere and area surrounding is hard to handle sometimes. The toilet in my dorm is western though, so I just always try to go there before I leave.

So lets see.. If you're really good friends with someone, it's not rude to chew and talk with your mouth open; i've seen my language partners do this a lot and we just had to bring it up. It's also ok to eat with your elbows on the table.. I've been taking advantage of this a lot. Sorry, dad. It's really polite to put food on other's plate (in the lazy susan style); and make things with the food for someone at the table. My language partner made me a wrap thing with duck, and was definitely offended when I didn't want it. I ate it once I realized this. I've basically only eaten with chopstick. This is hugggeee because I really had no idea how to use those things and now i have to use them all the time. I'm glad I'm decent at it now, i just miss the fork. We just discovered this amazing American restaurant close by so I did get to use one there.

The nightlife is about the same. The bars we've been going to have been ridiculous expensive. Well, about as expensive as they are in the states which is expensive here. 50 RMB cover charge last night, about 10ish dollars, and then 50 RMB drinks. So outrageous. There's also airport-like security at almost every bar we've been to, even the cheaper ones. I put my purse through a scan check thingy, or a man has to look in it. and there's metal detectors. I'm not complaining though; Youngstown should probably kick it up a notch. These clubs really were amazing though.. soo high class with like side couches everywhere, huge dance floors, the loudest music. It's fun, but no longer worth it. Erika had to pay 10 rmb to wash her hands at the place last night. Oh yes, smoking works its way into my life again. People are allowed to smoke in restaurants and bars. And it's not as bad in the restaurants, but the bars are awful sometimes, just filled with smoke. I haven't ended a night smelling like smoke in so long, so it's been eh.

Welllll that's just some China culture I've noticed so far. I know most of the paragraphs sounded negative, but I really am loving it. It's an amazing experience.

1 comment:

  1. anna, i am so happy you are having a good time. and i am also realllly jealous!!!! keep updating, i love reading it!!

    ReplyDelete