Saturday, August 14, 2010

I really have grown to love China and their taxi drivers

BCLU Dorm#17 Room 201
finished time 12:14 pm

I've battled the difficult language of Chinese. When in Rome, I've lived as the Romans do, in this case, the Chinese. I've waddled through the puddles with pee when it rained, and I've spent most every day sweating more than I ever have before. I've squatted the toilets, climbed their Great Wall, fist-fought with the Silk Market sales people (not really, but close), gotten fat over their food, sung keroke to a rap song all by myself, learned to scream waitress when I want to order/pay, I let Yu Laoshi get my heart beating 10000 beats per minute over his stupid memorization practice things in fear he would call on me. I've lived in a moldy room with a moldy shower curtain, been consistently verbally harassed in class by my gay friend whos in love with me, listened to at least 5 conversations about poop in Chinese a week, went 6 weeks without facebook, got swindled buying their traditional clothing, let a taxi drive away with my shitty cell phone, and been bench-pressed by a large Russian man. But I think the most challenging thing I will have to face in China is packing my damn suitcase! I've been obsessing about it for a week, up at night just imagining each souvenir one by one, and how they MUST fit together in one normal-sized suitcase; how I just can't bare to leave anything of mine in this country. I've thought about this for weeks.. what I will leave here. So far I have accepted that I will leave my jean jacket, one bra, and the perfume I brought with me (which i brought for the purpose of using up). Recently, I've realized I will have to leave more if i don't want to pay for two overweight suitcases. And for some reason, SO odd to me, I've almost accepted the fact that I have to leave my beloved converses, but I do not think I will be able to leave my conditioner (shampoo is whatever). This may or may not be because I want an excuse to buy new converses? Or because I'm insane. Rereading this whole thing has confirmed the latter.

Anyway, sorry to ramble about something as ridiculous as packing. I know you all were really curious. We received our grades today- for our final exam and overall- and I have managed an A. I have to be honest in saying that it really wasn't difficult. I believe our teachers really just wanted us all to get A's; everyone got an A or an A-. I am ecstatic to be done with this work and to be able to start 300 level Chinese in the fall... in 3 weeks; ugh.

Departing t-minus 15 hours. 15 hours to.. pack.


Some highlights:
Justin being asked "how much?" outside our Hotel in Xi'an.
Justin jumping on Kyle, taking down both of them and a beer pong table.
Mike getting arrested.
Mark being the first (this just to make him happy).
Yu Laoshi singing his heart out.

That actually pretty much rounds it all up.

Quotes:

Zenme shuo "bitches aint shit"?

1 comment: